11 December 2022

Moving to MacOS Ventura

 After some waiting, I moved to MacOS Ventura 13.0.1 from Monterey without any issues so far.

Ventura seems to be a no-brainer for MAME

This is a rather short post because there is not much to report: MAME and all frontends seem to work flawlessly. Benchmarks show approximately identical results (OpenGL became slower through various releases, Metal benchmarks still don't work properly, but at least the purple flash is gone when starting MAME and games).

Further nice things to report:

All emulators mentioned in this post work.

Joypad configuration is massively improved, and Nintendo Joypads and Joycons can be connected. For Joycons and Dolphin, you only need to follow Andrew‘s instructions:

https://youtu.be/Y4FqRpFi5Fo (a brilliant channel, by the way)

I already tested my beloved Super Mario Galaxy 2, and it blows my mind :-).

The new Apple Silicon build of GIMP 2.10.32 runs extremely well.

If there is anything else to report, I will do an update here.



3 comments:

  1. Hi. I have noticed a horrible issue with this OS version. I have a USB Arcade Controller, and the SELECT button is mapped to open Launchpad. I cannot find a way of disabling this. Basically ruined my experience of using MAME on Mac now :( Jason H.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hallo Jason, I do not experience any of such problems (with a PS4 controller). What I could imagine, however, is the following: Please do check your Keyboard System Settings - Shortcuts and whether some keyboard shortcut is assigned to "Show Launchpad". If yes, deactivate it and try again - because sometimes joypads are linked to keyboard shortcuts. I would be interested to hear the result!

      Delete
    2. Additional infos on joypad problems here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bylk5VRlJPE (great channel of Andrew on Apple Silicon). Plus try to wire the controller and see whether problems persist. Cheers!

      Delete

Any comments are welcome!